Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Cramps in Kama Sutra

Well, you don’t always need a Super Bowl commercial to get your message out.  For years we’ve been telling people, “Don’t download file attachments” unless you’re 100% sure they’re safe. It appears the message has gotten through.

This week all the buzz was about the Kama Sutra-MyWife-Blackmal worm which was set to corrupt files on computers around the world on the 3rd of every month. I was even  interviewed by my local news station.  They didn’t air the part where I said, I wasn’t really worried about this threat.  What a surprise! According to recent news reports,  Kama Sutra fizzled and the big story now is now little damage was reported. 

 What I said in the Blog on Tuesday,

“Users will have to physically download a file which is disguised as a zip file and run it.” 

Users are starting to get educated and all our ranting and raving is getting through. Spyware Warrior Suzi Turner also brought to my attention, a report by the University of Washington that spyware has significantly declined.  I would like to think I could retire from fighting spyware but I fear we’ll all keep busy for many years to come.

Share on Facebook


2 Comments:

Blogger TeMerc said...

Well there was at least one IT pro who wasn't paying attention:
http://www.ibnlive.com/article.php?id=4847§ion_id=11

I don't think we will get the full impact of this worm until the end of the weekend or Monday.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good find Temerc, for anyone having problems with the link the article says...

Nyxem.E hits 80,000 systems in India
"New Delhi: As many as 80,000 computer systems in India and about a million across the world have been estimated hit on Friday by the mass mailing worm 'Nyxem.E' that wrecks computers using the Windows operating system."

I guess we need global education as well.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home