Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dell says No to XP, Recommends Virtual PC

My sister-in-law is shopping for a new laptop and has been customizing a nice little unit on Dell.com.  Only problem she’s had is trying to get a system without Windows Vista.  Like many people she’s been happy with XP and isn’t ready to switch.

Unfortunately, Dell only offers Vista on new machines!

Select your operating system on Dell.com

So, I braved the online chat with a Dell representative and asked she could order her system with Windows XP.  The answer was No!  She can’t have XP installed on her new Dell but he recommended downloading Microsoft Virtual PC.  That way she could still create a partition and install Windows XP on it.

Forget getting your new PC without having to install Virtual PC

I went to Gateway.com and asked somone named Shayla the same question. I was much happier with their response.

BillP says:   Hi Shayla, quick question. My sister is looking for a new laptop. Can she still order one with Windows XP installed?
Shayla says:   We do have that as an option on most of our systems
Shayla says:   Would you like me to help you customize a system?
BillP says:   So Microsoft isn't forcing companies like Gateway to push Vista?
Shayla says:   Not yet
Shayla says:   It's recommended but we do have XP as an option for right now

Share on Facebook


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gateway are doing it like it should be done! Not forcing XP onto customers.

/fist @ Dell

/Rant over :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Hal,

If you don't remember you PLUS code just Email support@winpatrol.com and let me know the name you used to create your code. We'll have you activated again immediately.

Bill

12:54 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Wow, bummer. I need to buy a new laptop and I would have automatically just purchased a Dell without thinking about it, but I guess I'll be calling Gateway. I just bought a Dell six weeks ago and, naturally, this wasn't a problem at that time.

I'll note that I just went through the selection process on the Dell site, and they pointed out right up front that they recommend I upgrade my selected settings in order to support the needs of Vista. So in other words, I need to accept Vista AND pay more to support it. Thanks, Dell!

Thanks for the heads up. Gateway wins this round for my dollars.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FWIW I just ordered a Dell laptop Monday that defaulted to XP Pro SP2, Vista is a 'no charge' option. Be sure to go through the 'Small Business' side, not 'Home and Home Office'. There are many more options, including additional models. They'll include a proper OS CD if you check the box, no charge for that either. Also a driver CD. And the Norton/McAfee trialware options are just that, options.

If you do it right Dell still has the cleanest systems IMO.

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home