Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Friday, June 15, 2007

Achilles WiiItis Injury was predicted

It was last March when I added a Nintendo Wii to our playroom and wrote “Nintendo Wii Replaces PE”. In my post I predicted, “ I’m either going to lose weight or I’m going to pull a muscle.” Well, I was right!

I really expected I would aggravate and old tennis elbow surgery but instead the diagnosis is Achilles Tentonitis. Not only is my Wii usage restricted but I now have a huge black air cast up to my knee. I’ll also be on crutches for the next week or two. Apparently playing a vigorous game of Nintendo Wii Tennis in bare feet may not have been a good idea.

Earlier this month a physician in Spain, Dr. Julio Bonis wrote to the New English Journal of Medicine and coined the phrase “Wiiitis”. I have a feeling more doctors will become familiar with this concept as the popularity of the Nintendo Wii increases.

MRI of my left foot
This is a shot of yesterdays MRI. Apparently, the
black blob above the heel isn’t suppose to be so big

It’s probably impossible to prove the injury was caused by Wii Tennis. I can tell you, as an old guy who spends most of his time in front of the computer it’s still the most strenuous activity I’ve done in the past week.

Labels: , , ,

Share on Facebook


3 Comments:

Blogger TeMerc said...

Sorry to hear about the injury Bill, be sure and take care of that and get well soon.

As an 'older guy' myeslf, I worry about injuries playing with my 7 year old.

Guess I'll stay away from the Wii, it would hurt a muscle I can't afford to hurt...my wallet!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Corrine said...

Ouch! Does this mean that you're restricted to desk duty and will be forced to spend the next six weeks (or so) with your feet up and hands on the keyboard? lol

On an upbeat note, WinPatrol just happened to come up in four different conversations the past two days!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, desk duty is typical here but I must confess. I am allowed to remove the air cast so some of my time will be spent floating in the pool. :)

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home