Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

BillP Studios Always Listens

We’ve had over 100 thousand downloads of the new version of WinPatrol so far and the reaction has been extremely positive. So far, most of our Email is either looking for a lost PLUS code or requesting we bring back the original Scotty tray bar icon.


I guess a lot of people are really used to our old four color Scotty icon. I’ve uploaded a new version with a couple slight changes. If you’ve already upgraded to version 12, don’t feel like you need to run over to our download page to get this new version.


Our new build v12.0.2007.1 has two very minor changes.


1) If you’re using RogueRemover it apparently edits your HOSTS file and uses the IP address of 0.0.0.0 to block sites. The HijackPatrol log will now filter these entries out just like it does the local address 127.0.0.1 and others that might be added by the popular MVP Hosts project.
In English, unless your using RogueRemover, this change won’t affect you.


2) I have added an hidden option to allow the use of the original Scotty icon in the system tray. After downloading the new version, you’ll still need to run a registry script which is available at http://www.winpatrol.com/support/scottyicon.reg
Scotty's original 4 color icon
Again, unless you really care about the icon I wouldn’t go through the bother of downloading our setup again.


If you want to know more about what a HOST file is, check out http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html. Personally, I’m not a big fan of filling the host file with a large number of once known malware sites. On some machines I do think it will slow down internet connections.


Labels: , , ,

Share on Facebook


9 Comments:

Blogger TeMerc said...

Hi Bill, thanks again for listening to the people.

I was going to PM you this morning, but seeing as you blogged about the update I'll post here.

I've had several people say the icon switch fix does not work. Most say the path key does not exist. Any ideas?

11:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, true, the registry entry doesn't exist.

Unfortunately, using Netscape or some other reg protection programs may disable the registry script from running.

Under IE, users will get a dialog offerting to save the .reg file or run it.

Running it will save folks from having any knowledge of using RegEdit to modify the registry.

As I said, this is really only for folks are really really want the icon. :)

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is in an icon?
It seems that for a few hundred thousand users, having an excellent program is not enough, the "icon" has to be there, as well.

Come on Bill, do your magic and fix the icon problem, the same way you fixed the sound in Vista!!!

An overseas fun of "Scotty" since 2001, a plus member since 2004

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bill,

Thank-you so much for freeing Scotty from his bubble. He looks so much happier now.

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to the Moops...Bubble Boy is freed!!

4:13 PM  
Blogger RHAB said...

The "O" days were better, When we had to buy APPLE & had to buy it @ RADIO SHACK & had to do our own PROGRAMMING. it was black & white scroll, fast, no virus, just a few BUGS. It was to an extent better than what we have today, because it was fast & simple. You typed in a command & something happened immediately, where is the spel chck? I could press print screen & it printed what was on the screen. I have a new 2004 presario with win-xp-pro & I have not figured out how to print screen. What a piece of xhit microsoft has created. I should buy an apple & see how it is. rexbahr@hotmail.com

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,
I just downloaded the new winpatrol version this morning & by the way, I kinda like the new scotty. When I went to the download, it gave a download button for a cat like scotty that watches for programs that shut down or fail & now I went back to download it, It's gone. I wanted it. Where do I look?

2:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The cat that monitors and restarts process is Lady. She's available at http://www.taskcatcher.com

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ho Bill,
Excellent prog.however I have tired numerous ways to get Scotty back.. WinXp,SP2 with all the updates, for some reason I cannot merge the link onto my registry...so I close my eyes and will not look at the Scotty in the Bubble..hate it.. will not get Vista...looking for the new iMacs,with Leopard!!
thanks
V.S.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home