Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Friday, October 24, 2008

Today's a Good Day to Update

If you’re a regular BitsFromBill.com reader you know how I feel about the concept of auto updating software. I hate autoupdate programs from Apple, Google and Adobe.

Occasionally, the bad guys learn about a vulnerability and are quick to deploy dangerous attacks designed to take advantage newly discovered security holes. When this happens installing an update to protect yourself is worth any risk of updated code.

Today is one of those days. Yesterday Microsoft released security bulletin MS08–067 Vulernability in Server Service Could Allow Remove Code Execution. You might be thinking, “But I have a laptop, not a server”. Well, technically you do have a server and even your laptop is exposed if you’re connected to the internet.

So far the reported attacks seem to be targeted but it won’t be long before internet bots are scanning all IP address for this vulnerability. Microsoft has been a little vague only giving specific details to security providers. This attack can bypass firewalls and users don’t have to visit any webpages to become infected. I’ve read enough to suggest this security patch is a special exception.

So, I don’t know if this update could cause problems but I’ve updated my machines and I recommend you do the same.

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx



Labels: , ,

Share on Facebook


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just did the suggested updates, but I still haven't updated to WinXP SP3. I tried it when it first came out, and it screwed my computer up royally. Is it "safe" to install it now? Thanks.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

writeman,

I know you didn't ask me, but I think it's time to go to SP3. Most of the issues have been solved. I have encountered a few minor issues (for example, if you use a D-Link wireless adapter, you may have to update the driver to avoid getting a couple of messages every time you boot), but most are quickly resolved. If you have any unusual software that concerns you, you may want to check that it isn't a problem before starting the update.

I have updated well over 50 computers to SP3 with only one failure...my laptop (imagine my embarrassment). My HP laptop (with a Turion 64x2 processor has failed to accept the update four different times (using various methods and different downloads of the package. i have worked with Microsoft, I have repaired the permissions, re-registered dlls...the list goes on.

On my last attempt with MS support, the tech said the update wouldn't work on a computer with my processor. I'm quite sure he is lying to me.

Anyway, good luck...you should be fine.

-Brian (AKA The Dean)

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home