Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Watching TV on my iTouch with MiFi

Earlier this month I wrote how much I was looking forward to the new Verizon MiFi device. I was so looking forward to this product I showed up at the Verizon store the day it was released. This credit card size device allows me to be my very own personal Wi-Fi “Hotspot”.


Using my laptop when I travel the MiFi replaces my old Verizon USB modem and provides the same bandwidth. As a bonus, the MiFi allows up to 5 connections so my wife and/or grandkids can also use their laptops if we’re stuck in an airport.


One of the main reasons I really wanted the MiFi was to use with my Apple iTouch. I didn’t want an iPhone (which has less memory) to use as my cell, but I did want something to connect me to Twitter, Facebook and other online services. The iTouch supports Wi-Fi so I only had connectivity when I was near a hotspot. Now, I AM a Wi-Fi hotspot where ever I go.


Using Verizon MiFi to watch TV
Watching TV on my iTouch, using Slingbox via MiFi


The same week the MiFi was announced, Slingbox announced Apple had finally approved their iPhone application but with one condition. It wouldn’t allow streaming over the AT&T network but it could use Wi-Fi as a connection. Slingbox is a device connected to my TV/TiVo and the Internet which allows me to watch my TV while I’m out of the house. I figured using the Slingbox software was a great way to test the speed of the MiFi. The result is a B+.


I use DSLReports.com to do my speed tests and was happy with my first speed test using my laptop and MiFi.


So far the only problem I had was obtaining my new MiFi. Verizon announced they would be available on Sunday, May 17th. When I called my local Verizon store they said, they had plenty and I could come pick one up. I wasn’t happy at all when I arrived to find out, I could only order one which wouldn't arrived until Wednesday. I later found out each store was supplied two units and that they were only to be given to new customers. Verizon that’s a big FAIL.

I’ve been using mine for 10 days now and I love it. Riding in the car, waiting to see my doctor, sitting around the pool, looking up something(showing off) at a friends house it’s a great toy. The battery life spec says four hours and so far it has lived up to its claim. The battery died on my iTouch before the MiFi lost power. For more specifications on the MiFi, click here.


Labels: , , ,

Share on Facebook


4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent post and photos! I really enjoyed reading it.
Patty

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i must admit i prefer to use scroogle for searching. no tracking of me by any sites.
steve

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Elisa said...

i agree with patty! great work!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Staci said...

So, what's the montly bill like? I've been waiting to get one of these. How realistic is the 5 gb cap? How scary is the bill when you go over? I have wanted this thing since they announced it in April. Thanks.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home